Curanipe was officially inhabited May 2, 1850 for the extraction of cereals, fruit and wood, especially oak. In 1852 it was established as a town in 1854 and regularized its streets. In 1871, 1178 people lived in the town and no less than 4000 people formed the parish. Its existence dates back to colonial times, being an important Spanish port business of storage and sharing.

To Curanipe arriving ships from all around the world, but especially in England and Ireland, where it arrived footwear, apparel, genres, cotton and even pianos. From here sailed laden vessels wheat flour, lentil area and subsequently beer.

The ships anchored offshore, so the faluchos were responsible for hauling goods to the coast. Between the years 1888 and 1905 reached a total of 54 ships to the port.
During those years, everything revolved around the port activity, from the shipyards where faluchos was built until the advent of the railroad, which began in 1873 pass Parral.
The train was the preference of shipments. The old road from Santiago to Concepcion Cauquenes went through so many towns like Chillan, Talca, Parral, Linares and Chanco is restocked for goods coming through Curanipe. Done rail, Cauquenes was isolated because the road from Santiago to Concepcion was parallel to the train. In 1895 the railroad came to Cauquenes. Port activity died the first decade of 1900.